From Glitch City Laboratories
of the Pokémon series
||Variants, consequences, and exploits
|Arbitrary code execution (various generations)
||see template, Remote code execution, Cart-swap arbitrary code execution, Unintended ROM code execution
|No major extensions
||99 item stack glitch (Generation I), Berry glitch (Generation III), Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Japan only), Cloning, Ditto DV manipulation, Elite Four door glitch (Japan Diamond/Pearl only), Expanded party encounter table manipulation (Generation I), Item duplication glitch, Meta-map script activation (Generation I), Transform held item glitch (Japan only), Mimic glitch (Japanese Diamond/Pearl), Pokémon merge glitch ("Q Glitch", Generation I), Roaming Pokémon encounter glitch, (Mimic) Transform Rage glitch, Sketch glitch, Time Capsule exploit (Generation II), Tweaking (Generation IV)
|Buffer overflow techniques
||Japanese unterminated name glitch item instant encounter glitch, LOL glitch, Rival LOL glitch, Instant LOL glitch, RAM LOL glitch, oobLG, blockoobLG, Instant encounter infinite chain glitch (LGFly)), Super Glitch (Generation I) (party remaining HP glitch), Super Glitch (Generation III), Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch, CoolTrainer♀-type move, Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption, Yami Shop glitch
|Item stack duplication glitch (Generation I)
||Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow), Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, map script pointer item ball manipulation), Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, item ball manipulation, mart buffer overflow), Trainerless instant encounter glitch
|Bad clone glitch (Generation II)
||????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch, ????? map corruption, Celebi trick, Celebi Egg trick, Shiny Celebi trick, Glitch move map corruption, Overloaded party map corruption, Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) Duplicate key items glitch (Infinite items and item creation, Expanded Balls pocket (Wrong pocket TM/HMs, Glitch Pokédex categories))
|Select glitches (Japanese Red/Green)
||Closed menu: Dokokashira door glitch (International), Fossil conversion glitch (international), Second type glitch, Skip to Level 100 glitch, Trainer mutation glitch, Walk through walls (International), Lift glitch, Badge describer glitch
||Pomeg data corruption glitch ("Glitzer Popping")
|2x2 block encounter glitches (Generation I)
||Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, Old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick)
||Safari Zone exit glitch, RAM manipulation, Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II), Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French Gold/Silver/Crystal)
|Large storage box byte shift glitch
||Storage box remaining HP glitch, Generation I max stat trick
|Pikachu off-screen glitch
||Trainer corruption glitch
||Generation I save corruption, 255 Pokémon glitch, Send party Pokémon to a new game (Generation I), Generation II save corruption, Mailbox glitches, Mystery Gift item corruption, Trainer House glitches
|Surf down glitch
||Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (adaptions: Submerge glitch (international), 8 8 (0x7C) grass/rock surfing glitch (English Red/Blue))
|Trainer escape glitch
||Death-warp, Mew trick, Ditto trick, Experience underflow glitch
|Walk through walls
||Ledge method, Museum guy method, Rival's effect, Select glitch method (International Select glitch method), Brock Through Walls
||Party Pokémon box data shift glitch
(view, talk, edit)
|This article is a summary page for different variations of a glitches, etc. when talked about as a whole.|
Infinite item glitches allow for the player to obtain an unlimited number of items.
Terms such as infinite Master Balls or infinite Rare Candies are commonly used by players to refer to a glitch that allows the player to use or obtain an unlimited amount of certain items, if not all items.
Master Balls and Rare Candies are among the most commonly duplicated items.
Relevant glitches include:
- Pokédex flag duplication (via 2x2 block encounter glitches (e.g. old man glitch), Trainer escape glitch, Cable Club escape glitch, any glitch which causes a battle with the relevant glitch Pokémon, or causes a Trainer to send it out).
- Item stack duplication glitch - Can be used to duplicate items after obtaining a stack of 255 of them. Tossing, selling or depositing all items from the stack above it will replace the stack with another stack of 255 Master Balls, but the Cancel button is not shifted up after the player's numbers of items is reduced and the player's last item will work like Cancel.
- Infinite Master Balls (Colosseum) - A glitch in Pokémon Colosseum requiring a Double Battle, where the item quantity of an item, including Master Balls does not decrease
- Yami Shop glitch - It's possible to buy Master Balls and other items that weren't meant to be sold for free with this glitch.
- Generation III item duplication glitch - A derivative of Pomeg corruption glitch.
- Infinite Nugget glitch - A glitch in some releases of Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen where it is possible to obtain infinite Nuggets from a Rocket Grunt on Nugget Bridge.
- Item creation Select glitches
- Japanese Yellow ゴールド (0x6F) glitch item (v1.0)'s use which creates copies of itself
- Japanese Yellow ゴールド (0x6F) glitch item (v1.1+)'s use which creates many Soda Pops
- False PP Up inventory filling map script glitches
- j. (0x00) inventory filling map script glitch
Pokémon cloning allows the player to clone an item from Generation II onward (where Pokémon can hold items), for example, the Battle Tower Pokémon cloning glitch can be used to duplicate Master Balls.
The player can also get Master Balls by accessing an expanded item pack.
The Transform held item glitch is a way to duplicate an item in Japanese Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.