of the Pokémon series
Arbitrary code execution (template, remote, cart-swap, unintended ROM code execution) | 2x2 block encounter glitches (Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick)) | 99 item stack glitch | Bad clone glitch (????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch, ????? map corruption, | Celebi trick, Celebi Egg trick, Shiny Celebi trick, glitch move map corruption, overloaded party map corruption, Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) Duplicate key items glitch (infinite items and item creation, expanded Balls pocket (TM/HMs outside of the TM/HM pocket, Glitch Pokédex categories)) | Berry glitch | Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Japan only) | Cloning | Ditto DV manipulation | Elite Four door glitch (Japan only) | Expanded party encounter table manipulation | Glitch City (Safari Zone exit glitch, RAM manipulation) | Glitch meta-map script activation (Generation I) | Infinite Master Balls (Colosseum) | Large storage box byte shift glitch (storage box remaining HP glitch, maximum stat glitch) | Item duplication glitch | Item stack duplication glitch (Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow), Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, map script pointer item ball manipulation), Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, item ball manipulation, mart buffer overflow), Trainerless instant encounter glitch) | Transform held item glitch (Japan only) | Mimic glitch (Japan only) | Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II) (Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French version)) Lumiose City save glitch | Pikachu off-screen glitch (Trainer corruption glitch) | Pokémon merge glitch | Pomeg glitch (Pomeg data corruption glitch) | Roaming Pokémon encounter glitch | (Mimic) Transform Rage glitch | Select glitches (Japan only) (Closed menu: Dokokashira door glitch (international), Fossil conversion glitch (international), Second type glitch, Skip to Level 100 glitch, Trainer mutation glitch, walk through walls (international) Special menu: Lift glitch, Badge describer glitch) | Sketch glitch | SRAM glitch (Generation I) (255 Pokémon glitch, send party Pokémon to a new game) | Surf down glitch (Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (English)) | Time Capsule exploit | SRAM glitches (Generation II) (Mailbox glitches, Mystery Gift item corruption, Trainer House glitches) | Tweaking | Trainer escape glitch (Death-warp, Mew Trick, Ditto Trick, Experience underflow glitch) | Buffer overflow techniques (Japanese unterminated name glitch item instant encounter glitch, LOL glitch, Rival LOL glitch, Instant LOL glitch, RAM LOL glitch, oobLG, blockoobLG, Instant encounter infinite chain glitch (LGFly)), Super Glitch (Generation I) (party remaining HP glitch), Super Glitch (Generation III), Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch, CoolTrainer♀-type move, Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption, Yami Shop glitch) | Walk through walls (ledge method, museum guy method, Rival's effect, Select glitch method (international), Brock Through Walls) | ZZAZZ glitch (party Pokémon box data shift glitch)
(view, talk, edit)
The Generation I max stat glitch is a derivative of the large storage box byte shift glitch that is also responsible for the remaining HP glitch.
It allows the player to obtain a Pokémon with maxed out EVs and DVs, through repeated withdrawals and a Pokémon with underflowed PP (63 PP with three PP Ups used).
The effects of this trick are also possible with arbitrary code execution in Generations I and II (often with 8F in Red/Blue, ws m in Yellow or the Coin Case glitch in English Gold and Silver).
1) A Pokémon with 63 PP on the first move. This is possible with a PP underflow glitch. For example, you can get a low leveled Pokémon capable of learning Hyper Beam and Double Team and some healing items. Level 7 Chansey is good for this. It has great HP and low attack. You can get it at level 7 with the Ditto glitch with a Special of 40 or you could trade one from Pokémon Gold, Silver and Pokémon Crystal. Encounter a level 15 Tentacool, make sure Chansey is slower than the Tentacool, use Double Team six times then use Hyper Beam and hit, then hope that Tentacool uses Wrap the next turn and misses. This will cause Chansey to use Hyper Beam again, causing the underflow.
2) A Q, obtainable by evolving 4 4 Hy, a Yellow exclusive glitch Pokémon at level 6. Ditto glitch Special required: 192. You'll have to trade Q on to Red/Blue if you want to do it there.
3) A box that has never been filled before. This is important. On real hardware DA94, the end marker for a box will always be FF in box 1 if you've had 20 Pokémon. This matters because of the game 'getting' the FF before the one following the series of bytes you want to shift back.
4) Poké Flute, optional. Or you may be able to get poisoned to lower HP.
5) A good amount of Pokémon in box 2, such as 15.
6) Pokédollars. Get over 9998.
Let's say you want a flawless Mewtwo. Here are the steps.
1) From an empty box 1 deposit the Chansey with move 1 having 63 PP, then 10 Pokémon, then Q in that order. The order is important.
2) Fill your party from another box or through catching Pokémon, switch to box 1 then go into the wild and encounter a Pokémon with a catch rate of 255 and catch it. It will be sent to the first position of box 1.
3) Deposit the Pokémon back in the other box, e.g. box 2, then switch to box 1.
4) Withdraw Q, then the first Pokémon, then the 10 Pokémon, withdrawing the last one every time. You will see no Cancel while you're doing this. To do this, you'll need to deposit Pokémon into another box due to the 6 Pokémon in party limit. When you've done this step, it will max out all IVs, and all 'EVs' except for HP.
5) Withdraw Chansey. Then heal it at a Pokémon Center. Examine the HP modulo 256, e.g. minus 512 if it has 683. This will be the index number of the Pokémon you want. You can reduce the value to whatever you want by playing the Poké Flute and getting hit in battle or theoretically through poison. For Mewtwo, the HP modulo 256 needs to be 131.
6) As you should have no box terminators now, you don't need to deposit the maximum amount of Pokémon you had:
Deposit your glitched Chansey after you've got a remaining HP value you want, followed by any 2 Pokémon and Q, the order is important.
7) Fill your party from another box or catch them, then switch to box 1 and capture a catch rate 255 Pokémon; that will be sent to the first position.
8) Deposit your Pokémon in another box, then switch to box 1 and withdraw Q, then the 1st Pokémon, then the 3rd Pokémon, then the 2nd Pokémon. The last two withdrawals will have shifted Chansey's bytes before DAA8 and written FF, FF to the HP EV. Since current HP byte 2 is located two bytes after the Pokémon 1 'recipient' byte, it gets moved into the Pokémon 1 recipient byte.
9) Take your 'Chansey' into the Daycare and receive it to get your reward, e.g. flawless Mewtwo.