From Glitch City Laboratories
of the Pokémon series
Arbitrary code execution (template, remote, cart-swap, unintended ROM code execution) | 2x2 block encounter glitches (Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick)) | 99 item stack glitch | Bad clone glitch (????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch, ????? map corruption, | Celebi trick, Celebi Egg trick, Shiny Celebi trick, glitch move map corruption, overloaded party map corruption, Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) Duplicate key items glitch (infinite items and item creation, expanded Balls pocket (TM/HMs outside of the TM/HM pocket, Glitch Pokédex categories)) | Berry glitch | Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Japan only) | Cloning | Ditto DV manipulation | Elite Four door glitch (Japan only) | Expanded party encounter table manipulation | Glitch City (Safari Zone exit glitch, RAM manipulation) | Glitch meta-map script activation (Generation I) | Infinite Master Balls (Colosseum) | Large storage box byte shift glitch (storage box remaining HP glitch, maximum stat glitch) | Item duplication glitch | Item stack duplication glitch (Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow), Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, map script pointer item ball manipulation), Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, item ball manipulation, mart buffer overflow), Trainerless instant encounter glitch) | Transform held item glitch (Japan only) | Mimic glitch (Japan only) | Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II) (Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French version)) Lumiose City save glitch | Pikachu off-screen glitch (Trainer corruption glitch) | Pokémon merge glitch | Pomeg glitch (Pomeg data corruption glitch) | Roaming Pokémon encounter glitch | (Mimic) Transform Rage glitch | Select glitches (Japan only) (Closed menu: Dokokashira door glitch (international), Fossil conversion glitch (international), Second type glitch, Skip to Level 100 glitch, Trainer mutation glitch, walk through walls (international) Special menu: Lift glitch, Badge describer glitch) | Sketch glitch | SRAM glitch (Generation I) (255 Pokémon glitch, send party Pokémon to a new game) | Surf down glitch (Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (English)) | Time Capsule exploit | SRAM glitches (Generation II) (Mailbox glitches, Mystery Gift item corruption, Trainer House glitches) | Tweaking | Trainer escape glitch (Death-warp, Mew Trick, Ditto Trick, Experience underflow glitch) | Buffer overflow techniques (Japanese unterminated name glitch item instant encounter glitch, LOL glitch, Rival LOL glitch, Instant LOL glitch, RAM LOL glitch, oobLG, blockoobLG, Instant encounter infinite chain glitch (LGFly)), Super Glitch (Generation I) (party remaining HP glitch), Super Glitch (Generation III), Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch, CoolTrainer♀-type move, Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption, Yami Shop glitch) | Walk through walls (ledge method, museum guy method, Rival's effect, Select glitch method (international), Brock Through Walls) | ZZAZZ glitch (party Pokémon box data shift glitch)
(view, talk, edit)
International 'dokokashira door glitch' is an equivalent of the original Dokokashira door glitch in international releases of Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow versions. It exploits the fact that the method of activating the glitch was patched, but the glitch itself was not, leaving it accessible in other ways.
Even though the glitch is still the same, its effects are significantly different from the Japanese versions. The most recognizable effect of the original glitch, which is warping around the map, will not work in localizations (but a similar effect occurs in Pokémon Yellow, where the south map connection changes every 1024 steps). Some of the effects are shared between the Japanese and English versions, like the corruption of map tiles.
Activating the glitch
The key to activating the glitch is to either switch the end terminator on the first place in the player's party, or delete the end terminator from the party. There are several possible methods of achieving this.
- Activating the ZZAZZ glitch with one, three, four or six Pokémon in the party.
- Accessing the Pokémon beyond the sixth slot, and swapping the 7th Pokémon with the first one. This will only work if the player had 6 Pokémon before doing the glitch.
- Activating Super Glitch with proper setup; see [thread on the forums] for more information.
Since all of the methods presented above cause memory corruption, it's not recommended to save the game after completing any of them.
Effects by game version
- Random Pokemon keep fainting even though nothing is poisoned.
- Artifacts appear on the screen every 4 steps.
- Some of the map tiles are changed every 4 steps.
- In locations where music track ID matches a hex number of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF, music changes slightly after walking 4 steps.
- Some of the event flags are reset or set every 4 steps.
- If quantity of 5th item in bag matches a hex number of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF, the quantity of item #4 will get decremented every 4 steps.
- PC Pokémon 9 hybridization glitch
- If Clefable is registered as owned in the Pokédex, Capture flags for Pokédex numbers 17-24 will get decremented every 4 steps.
- Number of items decrements every 4 steps if the quantity of the first item in the bag matches a hex number of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF.
- If the 4th Pokémon in the party has a hex identifier of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF, the identifier of Pokémon #2 will get decremented every 4 steps.
- Items in 16th, 21st, 39th and 43rd slot in the PC have their identifiers decremented every 4 steps.
- After walking 1024 or less steps the south map connection byte gets decremented once.
- The sprites will randomly teleport across the screen or change into Red sprites.
- Sometimes, after entering a new location, the music will take a lot more time to fade out.
- The walking speed becomes very slow.
Moreover, all effects from Pokémon Red and Blue still happen in Yellow.
- Dokokashira door glitch
- Select glitch