of the Pokémon series
Arbitrary code execution (template, remote, cart-swap, unintended ROM code execution) | 2x2 block encounter glitches (Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick)) | 99 item stack glitch | Bad clone glitch (????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch, ????? map corruption, | Celebi trick, Celebi Egg trick, Shiny Celebi trick, glitch move map corruption, overloaded party map corruption, Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) Duplicate key items glitch (infinite items and item creation, expanded Balls pocket (TM/HMs outside of the TM/HM pocket, Glitch Pokédex categories)) | Berry glitch | Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Japan only) | Cloning | Ditto DV manipulation | Elite Four door glitch (Japan only) | Expanded party encounter table manipulation | Generation IV item cloning glitch (Japan only) | Glitch City (Safari Zone exit glitch, RAM manipulation) | Infinite Master Balls (Colosseum) | Large storage box byte shift glitch (storage box remaining HP glitch, maximum stat glitch) | Item duplication glitch | Item stack duplication glitch (Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow), Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, map script pointer item ball manipulation), Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, item ball manipulation, mart buffer overflow), Trainerless instant encounter glitch) | Mimic glitch (Japan only) | Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II) (Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French version)) Lumiose City save glitch | Pikachu off-screen glitch (Trainer corruption glitch) | Pokémon merge glitch | Pomeg glitch (Pomeg data corruption glitch) | Roaming Pokémon encounter glitch | (Mimic) Transform Rage glitch | Select glitches (Japan only) (Closed menu: Dokokashira door glitch (international), Fossil conversion glitch (international), Second type glitch, Skip to Level 100 glitch, Trainer mutation glitch, walk through walls (international) Special menu: Lift glitch, Badge describer glitch) | Sketch glitch | SRAM glitch (Generation I) (255 Pokémon glitch, send party Pokémon to a new game) | Surf down glitch (Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (English)) | Time Capsule exploit | SRAM glitches (Generation II) (Mailbox glitches, Mystery Gift item corruption, Trainer House glitches) | Tweaking | Trainer escape glitch (Death-warp, Mew Trick, Ditto Trick, Experience underflow glitch) | Buffer overflow techniques (Japanese unterminated name glitch item instant encounter glitch, LOL glitch, Rival LOL glitch, Instant LOL glitch, RAM LOL glitch, oobLG, blockoobLG, Instant encounter infinite chain glitch (LGFly)), Super Glitch (Generation I) (party remaining HP glitch), Super Glitch (Generation III), Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch, CoolTrainer♀-type move, Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption, Yami Shop glitch) | Walk through walls (ledge method, museum guy method, Rival's effect, Select glitch method (international), Brock Through Walls) | ZZAZZ glitch (party Pokémon box data shift glitch)
(view, talk, edit)
|Please note that this glitch only exists in the Japanese versions of the game, or is otherwise a glitch from a Pokémon game which was only released in Japan.
The Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch is a glitch in Japanese versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver.
The Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch allows you to make any Pokémon have the same DVs, gender, moveset and stats of another Pokémon.
It is a rare example of a glitch which only exists within the Japanese versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver. It was later fixed in other localizations of Pokémon Gold and Silver and it does not exist at all in Pokémon Crystal.
This glitch exploits the Bug Catching Contest in a similar way to the Glitch City glitch, but it requires the player to wait until a day when the next Bug Catching competition is on (Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday) first and then to wait another two days (or modify the time via password, glitch dimension) to finish the glitch.
- Access to the Bug Catching Competition
- A Pokémon with Fly (or Teleport?)
- If using Fly: to have beaten Chuck and obtained the Storm Badge.
- A Pokémon to have its data copied.
- A Pokémon with the desired species for the outcome.
- Three spare Pokémon.
- The day has to be Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday.
- Time (to wait two days).
- An empty box.
1) Arrange your party like this: Flying/Teleporting Pokémon, desired species (e.g. Charizard), three spare Pokémon, Pokémon to have its data copied (e.g. Red Gyarados).
2) In an empty box, deposit the three spare Pokémon as well as the Pokémon to have its data copied last.
3) Enter a Bug Catching competition, then immediately walk out.
4) Choose 'NO' and come back in, and then Fly away.
5) Deposit the desired species below the Pokémon that's going to have its data copied.
6) Save the game and wait until the next Bug Catching competition.
7) Return (if you enter the south entrance, you should walk through the void). The game will say that you still have 1 minute left.
8) Choose Yes to finish the contest.
9) You should have a Pokémon that's the species of the last Pokémon you deposited but has the stats, gender, DVs (including shininess), and moves of the donor.