Pokédex Variation from Location?
I've tested this Pokémon's Pokédex data numerous times, and for some reason, I can’t find consistency in location... I can't tell what is changing it. Wether it'd be party Pokémon, items, or even just the location and screen data. James-the-Charizard (talk) 11:30, 8 August 2019 (-06)
- According to the research, this glitch Pokémon takes its dex entry from AA00. AA00 is in the SRAM/save data region, but it's not actually clear from that which bank (as it seems a different SRAM bank means AA00 could represent another memory address depending on what bank the game was on last if forced for the dex entry?) (for illustration I recommend reading https://github.com/pret/pokered/blob/master/sram.asm ). Viewing glitch Pokémon sprites will also partially corrupt the save data (but not destroying it, e.g. MissingNo. saves corrupts Hall of Fame if you have one so maybe a glitch Pokémon could corrupt AA00 on the relevant bank?) Adding to the complication, SRAM is not always available and may be locked. That could explain the many 9999s (mirroring a locked SRAM pointer and returning (0xFF bytes). I'll look into this tomorrow if you like. :) Torchickens (talk) 14:43, 8 August 2019 (-06)
Are we locking SRAM to new members?
If you could, please do. Unfortunately I may not be able to contribute a lot to the wiki side of this and I’m just a bit too shy to reply into forums... >~<' (Even Though I like making friends and/or socializing, I just feel too awkward because I feel like I’d be barging in.) James-the-Charizard (talk) 16:13, 9 August 2019 (-06)
- This is me barging in with absolutely nothing to add for the sake of the example. I'm wondering if the huge amount of activity from staff, Metarkrai, RETIRE, et al. as compared to new members has given off too imposing of an impression. You're welcome to speak up about whatever you want, as you have on this page. Sherkel (talk) 23:52, 13 August 2019 (-06)
- I would definitely agree that the large presence of admins, staff and distinguished members does make the forums look a lot more intimidating. I was pretty intimidated at first too (actually I didn't do anything at GCLF at first, I didn't have anything to contribute and I essentially had a phantom account for about a year until watching old Shenanigans speedruns and MissingnoXpert randomly showing up in my recommended reignited my interest in glitches). With me, Parzival, metalmario32, Matt1990, Yuzihax and Bert being the only very active regular members (Matt, Yuzihax and Bert are Member+ but the phrase "Member+" doesn't invoke the same level of importance as Administrator or Distinguished Member), the forums are a bit intimidating. The fact that the general complexity of Pokemon glitches is already a bit daunting doesn't help, but I do think having less staff, not because they're doing a bad job but because there's a lot of them for a site like GCLF that's relatively small, would definitely help GCLF seem a lot more open. Bwill11 (talk)
- Shoot, I'm glad I said something now. I really appreciate the input and I'll take this up with the rest of them to see what they think. Ironically, when the forum was closer to 500 members, there were at least 15 admins at some point, with Member+ and Local Moderator positions being given out much more freely. Staff and other members should all be seen as equal here, and it might be possible that having such a large overlap made that sense of separation smaller. On the other hand, there used to be a lot more regulars...but on the other other hand, maybe I'm underestimating how many we have now...thanks for saying something, anyhow. (Shenanagans is basically the reason I'm still here too, by the way.) Sherkel (talk) 10:02, 14 August 2019 (-06)
- I think we should make a topic specifically for brainstorming ways to make GCLF less daunting for new people, since I think others probably have good ideas too and this is a bizarre page to discuss this on. Bwill11 (talk)
- Thanks for the advice you two. This may become a phantom account for a bit (I’m more active on other areas of the internet doing roleplays and I also do more stuff on Wikipedia than here) but I might try to do some stuff for the forums at some point. I do wonder, are ALL the forums related to glitching? Or is there off topic stuff too? James-the-Charizard (talk) 17:33, 14 August 2019 (-06)
- There is some off topic stuff too, even some roleplay boards (though they have been dormant for over a year and the other websites are probably better for roleplays). Bwill11 (talk)
- Yeah, I generally use other sites or applications for roleplays (mainly Discord) Which makes me wonder if I am the only roleplayer on the site at the moment? :P James-the-Charizard (talk) 10:54, 15 August 2019 (-06)
- You might be, but you could always start a thread there and see who's interested. Or perhaps better yet, get to know a few mem(b)ers on the Discord. Anyway, I think it's time to move this discussion from this page to the relevant thread that was made yesterday. Sherkel (talk) 11:32, 16 August 2019 (-06)