of the Pokémon series
||Variants and Consequences
|Arbitrary code execution
||see template, remote, cart-swap, unintended ROM code execution
|2x2 block encounter glitches
||Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick)
|99 item stack glitch
|Bad clone glitch
||????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch, ????? map corruption, Celebi trick, Celebi Egg trick, Shiny Celebi trick, glitch move map corruption, overloaded party map corruption, Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) Duplicate key items glitch (infinite items and item creation, expanded Balls pocket (TM/HMs outside of the TM/HM pocket, Glitch Pokédex categories))
|Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Japan only)
|Ditto DV manipulation
|Elite Four door glitch (Japan only)
|Expanded party encounter table manipulation
||Safari Zone exit glitch, RAM manipulation
|Glitch meta-map script activation (Generation I)
|Infinite Master Balls (Colosseum)
|Large storage box byte shift glitch
||storage box remaining HP glitch, maximum stat glitch
|Item duplication glitch
|Item stack duplication glitch
||Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow), Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, map script pointer item ball manipulation), Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, item ball manipulation, mart buffer overflow), Trainerless instant encounter glitch
|Transform held item glitch (Japan only)
|Mimic glitch (Japan only)
|Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II)
||Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French version)
|Lumiose City save glitch
|Pikachu off-screen glitch
||Trainer corruption glitch
|Pokémon merge glitch
||Pomeg data corruption glitch
|Roaming Pokémon encounter glitch
|(Mimic) Transform Rage glitch
|Select glitches (Japan only)
||Closed menu: Dokokashira door glitch (international), Fossil conversion glitch (international), Second type glitch, Skip to Level 100 glitch, Trainer mutation glitch, walk through walls (international) Special menu: Lift glitch, Badge describer glitch)
|SRAM glitch (Generation I)
||255 Pokémon glitch, send party Pokémon to a new game
|SRAM glitches (Generation II)
||Mailbox glitches, Mystery Gift item corruption, Trainer House glitches
|Surf down glitch
||Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (English)
|Time Capsule exploit
|Trainer escape glitch
||Death-warp, Mew Trick, Ditto Trick, Experience underflow glitch
|Buffer overflow techniques
||Japanese unterminated name glitch item instant encounter glitch, LOL glitch, Rival LOL glitch, Instant LOL glitch, RAM LOL glitch, oobLG, blockoobLG, Instant encounter infinite chain glitch (LGFly)), Super Glitch (Generation I) (party remaining HP glitch), Super Glitch (Generation III), Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch, CoolTrainer♀-type move, Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption, Yami Shop glitch
|Walk through walls
||ledge method, museum guy method, Rival's effect, Select glitch method (international), Brock Through Walls
||party Pokémon box data shift glitch
(view, talk, edit)
The Sketch glitch is a glitch in Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal that allows a Pokémon that used the move Transform to permanently keep a move at the conclusion of the battle via Sketch; if the Pokémon that the user transformed into knew it.
This is assumed to be a glitch because moves learned by Transform are meant to disappear after the battle.
The position of the new move depends on the position of Sketch before it was used. For example, consider a Ditto with just the move Transform. If after transforming it successfully sketches Splash, and Sketch was in the second position, it will know the moves Transform and Splash at the conclusion of the battle, in that order.
- Access to Viridian City's Trainer House.
- A Pokémon knowing Transform that can defeat the Pokémon it will transform into.
- Another game with a Smeargle (preferably in the first position) with Sketch and another move, and a Pokémon with a move that the Smeargle does not know.
- Two Game Boy Colors to use Mystery Gift. Later Game Boy systems (i.e. the Game Boy Advance or Game Boy Advance SP) do not count because they do not have infrared ports).
- Access to the Mystery Gift option from the Continue/New Game/Option screen, which can be enabled by talking to a girl in the Goldenrod Department Store in Game Boy Color mode.
A Pokémon knowing Transform that will be able to beat the Pokémon it transforms into.
Mystery Gift should be available to copy another game's party (with Smeargle) into the Trainer House.
1. Use Mystery Gift to get the second game's Trainer House data. Their party must have Pokémon that follow the requirements above. If using an emulator, try editing Trainer House memory addresses.
2. Take the Pokémon with Transform into the Trainer House in Viridian City.
3. Battle the other player and transform into the Smeargle.
4. Defeat the Smeargle without getting defeated by it. The enemy Smeargle must not be the last Pokémon.
5. Allow the next Pokémon to attack (but the user must not faint).
6. Copy its move with Sketch. Before this, put Sketch in a position you want.
7. End the battle and the move will be copied.
The position is where the copied move will be at the conclusion of the battle. For a normal Ditto, it's a good idea to have Sketch in the second position so it keeps both Transform (in the first position) and the new move (in the second position). Note that putting Sketch in the third position or fourth position for a normal Ditto will make the sketched move unselectable, even though the move appears in the relevant memory address.
The glitch has been said to work with Metronome selecting Transform, but this has not been confirmed by Glitch City Laboratories.
Mimic seems to fail when attempting to sketch Transform.
- Category:Glitches that allow Pokémon with unobtainable moves