The dress up Hiker glitch is a glitch which only exists in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. When exploited, it allows the player to change the direction that their character is facing on the game screen, just prior to entering the dress-up room on the second floor of the Jubilife TV building.
Different directions give different results. The player is likely to either walk through a wall or the Hiker himself.
The glitch was fixed in Pokémon Platinum, where the "Ooh, I wonder which Pokémon you'll dress up?" message cannot be exited by pressing a button on the directional pad (d-pad).
- Access to at least Jubilife City.
- A Fashion Case.
- Go to the second floor of the Jubilife TV building.
- Proceed into the room with a Hiker whom allows the player to dress up a Pokémon.
- Talk to the Hiker from any direction and select YES at his question "I will snap a photo when you're done. You will do this, won't you?"
- Either choose YES or NO at the next question "Should I explain to you how to dress up your Pokémon", it will be a quicker process choosing NO though.
- When the Hiker says "Ooh, choose which Pokémon you want to dress up.", instead of exiting the dialogue box via the A, B, or X button, choose any button on the directional pad and the player's direction will change. This will also close the dialogue box and the game will load the party.
- Choose any Pokémon, and the game will force the player character to move in a path depending on the position that he/she is facing.
The path that the player takes depends on the direction they were facing.
||Travel two steps north, activate the dress up screen (if closed by the player, travel two steps south). This is the intended behavior.
||Travel one step right, travel one step north, activate the dress up screen (if closed by the player, travel two steps south).
||Travel one step left, travel one step north, activate the dress up screen (if closed by the player, travel two steps south).
||Do not walk or open the dress-up screen; it is as if the player never began the dress-up procedure.