From Glitch City Laboratories
of the Pokémon series
||Variants, consequences, and exploits
|Arbitrary code execution (various generations)
||see template, Remote code execution, Cart-swap arbitrary code execution, Unintended ROM code execution
|No major extensions
||99 item stack glitch (Generation I), Berry glitch (Generation III), Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Japan only), Cloning, Ditto DV manipulation, Elite Four door glitch (Japan Diamond/Pearl only), Expanded party encounter table manipulation (Generation I), Item duplication glitch, Meta-map script activation (Generation I), Transform held item glitch (Japan only), Mimic glitch (Japanese Diamond/Pearl), Pokémon merge glitch ("Q Glitch", Generation I), Roaming Pokémon encounter glitch, (Mimic) Transform Rage glitch, Sketch glitch, Time Capsule exploit (Generation II), Tweaking (Generation IV)
|Buffer overflow techniques
||Japanese unterminated name glitch item instant encounter glitch, LOL glitch, Rival LOL glitch, Instant LOL glitch, RAM LOL glitch, oobLG, blockoobLG, Instant encounter infinite chain glitch (LGFly)), Super Glitch (Generation I) (party remaining HP glitch), Super Glitch (Generation III), Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch, CoolTrainer♀-type move, Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption, Yami Shop glitch
|Item stack duplication glitch (Generation I)
||Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow), Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, map script pointer item ball manipulation), Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution, item ball manipulation, mart buffer overflow), Trainerless instant encounter glitch
|Bad clone glitch (Generation II)
||????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch, ????? map corruption, Celebi trick, Celebi Egg trick, Shiny Celebi trick, Glitch move map corruption, Overloaded party map corruption, Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) Duplicate key items glitch (Infinite items and item creation, Expanded Balls pocket (Wrong pocket TM/HMs, Glitch Pokédex categories))
|Select glitches (Japanese Red/Green)
||Closed menu: Dokokashira door glitch (International), Fossil conversion glitch (international), Second type glitch, Skip to Level 100 glitch, Trainer mutation glitch, Walk through walls (International), Lift glitch, Badge describer glitch
||Pomeg data corruption glitch ("Glitzer Popping")
|2x2 block encounter glitches (Generation I)
||Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, Old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick)
||Safari Zone exit glitch, RAM manipulation, Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II), Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French Gold/Silver/Crystal)
|Large storage box byte shift glitch
||Storage box remaining HP glitch, Generation I max stat trick
|Pikachu off-screen glitch
||Trainer corruption glitch
||Generation I save corruption, 255 Pokémon glitch, Send party Pokémon to a new game (Generation I), Generation II save corruption, Mailbox glitches, Mystery Gift item corruption, Trainer House glitches
|Surf down glitch
||Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (adaptions: Submerge glitch (international), 8 8 (0x7C) grass/rock surfing glitch (English Red/Blue))
|Trainer escape glitch
||Death-warp, Mew trick, Ditto trick, Experience underflow glitch
|Walk through walls
||Ledge method, Museum guy method, Rival's effect, Select glitch method (International Select glitch method), Brock Through Walls
||Party Pokémon box data shift glitch
(view, talk, edit)
The disc for downloading a Shiny Zigzagoon, which when transferred to the game included one of the first patches for fixing the berry glitch after its official acknowledgement by Nintendo.
This article is outdated
Feel free to update it.
Reason given: Add the mechanics Háčky researched
This article refers to a glitch in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire when time-based events will stop. For the glitch related to when the player uses a Pomeg Berry with a relatively low amount of HP see Pomeg glitch.
The Berry glitch (Japanese: きのみ問題) is the name of a glitch where all clock-based events will freeze, including the growth of berries and the player's clock. It was officially patched in later versions of the Generation III games so it does not exist in Pokémon Emerald. The glitch causes all berries to stop growing, and occurs after the game's internal clock has been active for a currently unknown amount of time.
It is not to be confused with the game's internal battery running dry, a different problem which is explicitly mentioned while booting the game.
This glitch was acknowledged by Nintendo and as a result, they took action and released multiple fixes for the Berry glitch. It was probably acknowledged due to the fact that it hindered gameplay, rather than giving the player extra control over the game, and was not preventable. Below are a list of official fixes for the Berry glitch:
- For a limited amount of time, Nintendo allowed players to send their games in, and receive them back with the Berry glitch fixed.
- The Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc, which includes a Jirachi transferable to the handheld games and a trailer for the 6th Pokémon movie, also included the opportunity to connect the Game Boy Advance to the GameCube and have the Berry glitch fixed.
- In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, the player could press SELECT+B at the title screen to reveal a screen titled "Berry Glitch Fix." From here, one could connect to a Pokémon Ruby or Sapphire game with a link cable and have the Berry glitch fixed.
- Downloading Jirachi from Pokémon Channel will fix the Berry glitch after it has been transferred to the game.
- When the player links an affected game to Pokémon Box, when the player saves their game in the 'Go To Adventure' mode the Berry glitch will have been automatically fixed, with the message "The Berry Program was updated".
- In the Japanese versions of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, if the player uses the e-Reader cards for the Pokémon Scoop's Winter 2004 event the cards will also fix the Berry glitch.
- In certain stores across the US and Japan, players could recieve a specifically marked demo disc containing a Shiny Zigzagoon and a fix to the Berry glitch.