From Glitch City Laboratories
|Please note that this glitch only exists in the Japanese versions of the game, or is otherwise a glitch from a Pokémon game which was only released in Japan.
A player recieving the 'Would you like to SURF?' message after performing the Japan exclusive Surf on land glitch.
This glitch is not to be confused with other surfing glitches such as the Surf through Elite Four door glitch.
The term Surf on land refers to a miscellaneous glitch only existing in the Japanese versions of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.
When used correctly, the game will perform the move Surf when the player is not facing a surface of water. As a result, the player may surf on land until he or she uses the move Fly or Teleport, uses the move surf again on an actual surface of water, or enters a building.
This glitch exploits the "bunny-hop" feature of the Acro Bike. When the player is facing a certain direction and jumps upwards or downwards the game will temporarily (for a fractional amount of time) take the player's direction as facing upwards or downwards, rather than left or right. Although this may be considered as a relatively minor exploit of the game's processing speed, if the player performs a "bunny-hop" towards a surface of water in the original direction he or she may quickly press the A button to recieve the 'Would you like to SURF?' message and select the 'YES' option to surf on land.
This glitch (as of now) is only known to work in Mauville City.
- The player should travel eastwards to the beach.
- He or she should ride the Acro Bike and travel one step west of the eastmost rock.
- The player should use the right button on the directional pad to face eastwards.
- If the player performs a bunny-hop downwards and immediately presses the A-button, he or she may recieve the 'Would you like to SURF?' message.
- For unknown reasons, when performed on the Japanese version of Pokémon Emerald the game will freeze.
-  - A Youtube video of the Surf on land glitch.