More research is needed for this article.
Reason given: Check the Black 2/White 2 events to see what events are exploitable. Check the untested Black and White events.
The midnight exploit in Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Pokémon Black and White and Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 allows certain daily events to re-occur.
It can be performed simply by changing the date on the Nintendo DS or Nintendo 3DS system, and the player does not have to wait a full day.
It involves changing the clock on the Nintendo DS or 3DS firmware to a time near midnight, playing the game and waiting for the time to become midnight in the game. The in game time can be checked by having the Pokétch set to the Digital Clock application.
Changing the day of the week through the Nintendo DS or 3DS firmware normally does not work, but the Seal Market goods list in Sunyshore City (at least in Pokémon Platinum) can be changed this way.
Some, if not all of the 'midnight exploitable' events will not re-occur by waiting for the clock to turn midnight on the Nintendo DS firmware. The player may have to actually be in game.
In Pokémon Black and White, the player may have to wait a short while after midnight (according to the C-Gear) to get the event to change for reasons unknown.
In Pokémon X and Y it appears that the midnight trick can no longer be exploited for events where it would be the only known cheating method[generalization]. There is no known way to use it to change the café Pokémon or reactivate the Sweet Heart event.
However, there are events in Pokémon X and Y that can be altered simply by changing the date, including the boutique items for sale and people at the hotels. Those events can be altered with the midnight exploit. These tests were done on a non-updated version of Pokémon X with a Ver. 7.1.0-16E Nintendo 3DS running it.
- Set the Nintendo DS clock back to a time such as 1 minute before midnight.
- Save the clock data and shut the Nintendo DS off.
- Start the game, wait until midnight (this can be checked with the Digital Watch Pokétch app).
Below is a list of changeable events through the midnight exploit, organized by game.
In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum
For more information about these events, see the relevant Serebii pages (Diamond and Pearl, Platinum)
- Random Pokémon Center battles (Pokémon Platinum)
- Swarm Pokémon (viewable in the opposite gender rival's house in Sandgem Town)
- Lottery (Jubilife City)
- Floaroma Town Berry gift
- Route 208 Berry gift
- Pokémon Reporter (Solaceon Town)
- Massage woman (Veilstone City)
- Game Corner hidden coins (EU Platinum)
- Pastoria City Berry gift
- Great Marsh shard gift (Pastoria City)
- Pokémon Mansion owner's cute Pokémon experience. Finding out what Pokémon it is requires leaving the room and re-entering if the butler is not present (Route 212).
- Pokémon Mansion 5-Maid Knockout Exact-Turn Attack Challenge (requires leaving and re-entering the room to try again)
- Celestic Town Pokémon Center Great Ball man (requires a Pokémon with high happiness to receive the Great Ball).
- Snowpoint Town trendy saying.
- Seal Market goods (Sunyshore City, also changeable by changing the Nintendo DS date).
- Julia's Ribbons.
- Belt man (Route 221).
- Ribbon Syndicate spa (only tested in Platinum, requires at least 10 Ribbons spread among current Pokémon party to enter the Ribbon Syndicate. Requires leaving and returning to the room if the staff are close together).
- Top Trainer Café (requires leaving and entering again).
- Underground goods that traders have.
In Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
For more information about daily and weekly events in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, see this page on Serebii.
- Swarm Pokémon.
- Goldenrod Radio Tower lottery.
- Olivine City Seal gift.
- Route 16 trendy saying.
Certain events that are consistent on certain days of the week (e.g. the Pokéathlon Dome prizes) can be changed with both the midnight exploit and by manually changing the date on the Nintendo DS firmware.
In Pokémon Black/White
For more information about daily, weekly and seasonal events in Pokémon Black and White, see this page on Serebii.
- Swarm Pokémon.
- Massage woman.
- Berry clown.
- Ferris Wheel Trainer (from the last day of the month to the first day of the next month. May require reloading the map by entering and exiting a warp. Using Fly does not count.)
- Driftveil City Heart Scale woman.
- Opelucid City battles (require stepping out of the room and back in).
- Pinwheel Forest challenge rock.
- Black City Trainers.
- Marvelous Bridge Patrat show.
- Route 8 weather stone woman (only Icy Rock is possible if you talk to her near midnight).
- Twist Mountain Fossil man.
- Village Bridge job.
- Village Bridge: Official Hip Waders Catch of the Day Pokémon.
- Route 13 treasure hunter.
- Battle with Cynthia.
- Battle with Game Freak Morimoto.
- Pokémon Musical prop man.
- Choosing furniture to be unlocked in the Pokémon Dream World through Loblolly.
- Undella villa Trainers.