|Reported by SloshedMail|
Verified by Torchickens
Player two having apparently sent out a Spearow that just fainted after the Fire Spin glitch was caused.
The Partial trapping move link battle glitch, also known as the Fire Spin glitch as it was the original version documented, is a glitch in Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow that allows the player to 'de-sync' a link battle.
It is a glitch which activates an oversight in the two-player capabilities of the game's battling system, where player two switching when a Mirror Moved Bind, Clamp, Fire Spin or Wrap is in effect causes player two's game to state that Mirror Move failed, but the partial trapping move to continue on player one's side.
If player two's Pokémon faints from Bind, Clamp, Fire Spin or Wrap communication errors will persist until the battle ends.
- Two players.
- Access to the Cable Club.
- A working link cable.
- Player one requires a Pokémon knowing Mirror Move.
- Player two requires a Pokémon knowing one of the above partial trapping moves..
- On player one's side; a Pokémon which could be defeated in one move by the partial trapping move, preferably a much lower level one.
- Ideally player one should have the Pokémon knowing Mirror Move as the first party member.
- Ideally player two should have the Pokémon knowing the partial trapping move as the first party member.
- Both players should enter the Colosseum via the Pokémon Cable Club and battle.
- In battle, player one should send out the Pokémon knowing Mirror Move and player two should send out the Pokémon knowing the partial trapping move.
- If the Pokémon knowing Mirror Move is faster, have the opponent use the partial trapping move and wait until the Pokémon escapes it. If the Pokémon knowing Mirror Move is slower, have the opponent use the partial trapping move and hope it misses, then on the same turn Mirror Move it.
- Player two should switch his/her Pokémon to one that can be defeated in one hit by the partial trapping move, and have it hit. If it doesn't hit, you'll have to try the glitch again to see its other effects.
- If performed correctly, on player two's screen Mirror Move will fail and his/her Pokémon would not faint. On player one's screen however, the game considers that player two's Pokémon has fainted if the partial trapping move hit.
- Communication errors will persist, including the opposing players sending out a Q, the fainted Pokémon or another glitchy Pokémon.
- SloshedMail's GCL forums post about the Fire Spin glitch.